Virtual reality refers to a machine-generated simulation. The person wearing a VR headset gets to experience a life-like simulation in a 3-dimensional environment.
The raging pandemic outside that hit the world at the dawn of the new year of 2020 changed a lot of things about how people perceived their surroundings and their existence. Virtual reality played a significant role in many of our lives then and continues to do so even now. It is considered the future of technology especially in fields such as gaming.
If you are someone who likes to keep up with technology or maybe someone who has experienced virtual reality before, and are thinking about giving it another try this year, then we have something that you might like. As you keep reading you will come across a detailed but compact discussion about virtual reality and VR headsets.
If you are looking for a new VR headset to buy, then you are at the right place. We discuss all the things that you need to consider while buying the headset along with some of your available options out there. Interested to have a look at then? You will find all that you need just a few scrolls down.
What to look for while buying a VR headset?
VR headsets are quite a new piece of technology in the market. Even though these headsets are rapidly gaining popularity, most people still do not have a clear idea as to what a good VR headset would have to offer. It is only natural if you feel confused regarding your choice. We are here to make it all a bit easier for you. We have enlisted some of the aspects of a VR headset that you need to keep in mind while you are shopping for one.
- Resolution is the most important and fundamental parameter that you need to check out while buying a virtual reality headset. The thing you need to actually look out for is the resolution per eye. It’s the quantity of the pixel, which can be displayed using the VR headset. It is expressed as pixel width x pixel height. Lower the resolution of the headset worse would be the viewing experience, resulting in less crisp edges of the images and increased pixelation.
- Pixels per degree would be another way of indicating the quality of the image displayed by a VR headset. It is the number of pixels per degree of the viewing angle. If you divide the horizontal pixel count by the horizontal field of view of the lens you would get the count of pixels per degree of that VR headset. A higher pixel density would result in finer details of the image that is viewed, giving it a more realistic expression and dimension.
- Field of view is the extent of the observable environment via the headset at any given time. A wider field of view obviously would result in a more impressive and immersive VR experience. So user fields his presence in the virtual environment to a greater extent with a wider field of view. Most of the good quality VR headsets would have a field of view between 100° and 110°.
- Refresh rate is the speed with which the headset shows you consecutive images in frames per second. It is another crucial aspect of judging the VR experience of her headset. The faster the refresh rate, the better would be the experience of viewing the images, the better would be the quality of the headset. If the refresh rate is too slow, it will result in a greater length latency between two consecutive frames. This would give a choppy impression, which of course is not desirable. A steady refresh rate is also important for precise positional tracking.
- The three main types of displays available would be LCD, OLED, and AMOLED. All VR headsets accomplish the same agenda via one of these displays. While AMOLED would sometimes give you oversaturated colors or deep blacks, and OLED would offer a true black (via turning off individual pixels), LCD offers a more balanced display. It would therefore be the best option to go for here.
What are the best VR headset options for 2021?
Now, since you know all that you need to keep in mind while buying a VR headset, let us quickly jump to the list of headsets that you could check out. These would be your best VR headset 2021 options.
1. Oculus Quest 2 (Rating 4.4/5)
The best thing about Quest 2 is the versatility and fun that it offers. It has an immersive experience, is fast, and has a compact design. It is a wireless VR headset and has great touch controllers. Its design is not only compact but also very comfortable to wear while playing. Furthermore, it goes easy on your pocket as well. A bonus here would be that it also doubles as a VR headset for PC.
This is not really a con per se, but it sure is an inconvenience for some users. This VR headset would require the user to have a Facebook account. If you don’t have a Facebook account as of yet, you can just create one.
2. HP Reverb G2 (Rating 4.3/5)
This headset is known for its high resolution. It has a really sharp high-resolution display accompanied by amazing audio. Its design is comfortable as well. If you are a passionate gamer or pursue gaming professionally then this would be your best choice to go with.
The only disadvantage that this headset has is its mediocre controllers. Another thing that seems to be somewhat of an issue with some of the users (not all) would be the absence of a headphone jack. The over-ear speakers would be your only audio choice.
3. Valve Index (Rating 4.1/5)
This is an amazing PC VR, maybe even the best one, to explore and experience the future of VR controllers. It is a high-quality headset and works with Vive hardware. It’s not cool controllers are pressure sensitive. This means they can track all of your five fingers as in a glove.
Valve index is without a doubt one of the top choices that you might avail, but it has some serious disadvantages as well. First off, it is pretty expensive. Also, it requires a full room setup and attaching cable. Not only would the process of setting up the room be time-consuming, but it also might not be that affordable for some either.
4. Sony PlayStation VR (Rating 4.1/5)
The best part about this VR headset would have to be the collection of games it offers and that too within such a low price range. Also, it works fine with most of the PS4 controllers as well.
The disadvantage of using this VR headset would be the resolution. The resolution of this VR headset is not as great as the others we have discussed so far. Sony is still working on its VR controllers and is expected to join the race in the coming years.
It all comes down to what you need and want. You know what to look for and also have the list of some of the best options in the market in your hands. Choose the one that suits you the best.